Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:39:39 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        <absinthe@pobox.com>, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD

Dylan writes:

> But with your comments... that kind of attitude has
> kept Linux and FreeBSD from being Tier 1 platforms
> for things such as ... oh, say... Oracle?

Ted's comments are quite relevant and reasonable.  If you want a proprietary
solution, why go with FreeBSD?  Conversely, if you want an open solution, why
get entangled with Java?  Sun has already demonstrated territoriality with Java.
It's rather like running Apache on FreeBSD and then trying to get it to work
with FrontPage extensions or ASPs.  The whole advantage to FreeBSD or Linux is
that it is free and not closely tied to any one company; if you start embracing
proprietary bits to run on these systems, the open-source advance they offer is
largely negated.  Solaris is probably at least as good as FreeBSD, if you don't
care about cost or being tied to a vendor/platform.

> Support for the FreeBSD is driven by interest and
> effort, by the applications people want to run on
> it.  Fact is, Java development is huge.

That is very wishful thinking.  Compared to the total range of applications
available for UNIX systems, Java is barely a blip on the radar.  And I daresay
it is even less important for free variants of UNIX such as FreeBSD or Linux,
because people running these systems are almost certainly concerned with
avoiding ties to any kind of proprietary technology.

> If FreeBSD is not an active player in that space, it
> will make it difficult for it to succeed in other areas.

I've seen no evidence to support this.  FreeBSD seems to be doing fine.  FreeBSD
and Apache make a nearly unbeatable combination, and all for free.

And the fact that I have only just recently taken an interest in FreeBSD would
seem to indicate that new converts are still arriving.  Windows XP will drive a
_lot_ of users to open UNIX systems, just as it strongly motivated me to take a
look.  And none of these people care at all about Java.

> Deflecting users to Solaris because, perhaps, YOU
> don't run Java apps or servlets is short-sighted.

On the contrary, it is quite logical.  If you want Java as a proprietary
solution, you may as well run it on a proprietary OS distributed by the same
vendor.  It seems logical that Java would run better on Solaris than on any
other OS.

> And frankly, for someone as active on this list as
> you are, I would have hoped you could have proposed
> some solutions towards informing and helping people
> deploy Java on FreeBSD than turning them away from
> it.

The idea is to find the best solution for your application, not to demonstrate
slavish devotion to any one software package or product.

It's kind of like asking how to get IIS to run on FreeBSD.  If you want IIS, run
Windows.