Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:09:19 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "SD" <s.d@subdimension.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cant get Adaptec 1520 SCSI (ISA Bus) to work in 4.3

On Monday 25 June 2001 15:20, SD wrote:
> I bought an Adaptec ISA 1520 SCSI controller ('new' - box unopened) -
>
> mainly as I believed that it was pretty much 'Industry Standard' and
>
> would thus work well with all my OS's... ;-)
>
> BSD 4.3 Release isnt happy ..
>
> I have recompiled with 'aic' present in the kernel and after RTFM made
>
> sure that all that else that *seemed* to be required was also enabled.
>
> On reboot dmesg reports:
>
> isa0 - too many dependant configs (8)
>
> at the point of probing the controller.
>
> Has anyone got one of these to work with 4.3?
>
> Surely it must be one of the most ordinary / poular ISA SCSI cards ever
>
> - so it cant be too much of a prob? ;-)

Have you made sure that the jumpers are set to the resources that the driver
is expecting the card to use?   The driver really seems to want the card to
be on irq 11 and I/O address 0x0140.  Most likely you are having some sort of
conflict in your system with irq 11.

I dug one of those up from the back room and checked it out on a 4.3-STABLE
machine from last weekend.  It seemed to work just fine.

Josh