Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:36:36 -0700
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting the default MAX Stack size

On Thursday 19 July 2001 01:16 am, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Jim Pirzyk wrote:
> > So I have a need to increase the max stack size in the kernel.  There
> > currently is no knob to do this.  I though of implementing it like
> > the max data size knob (MAXDSIZ).  Is this the best answer or should
> > it maybe be done via read only sysctl (and then can be set in the
> > /boot/loader.conf)?  I know how to do the former, but I am not sure
> > about the latter.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> Change your code to not use so much auto variable space; if
> you are using this much space, you need to rethink your
> algorithm.

The program that is being used is by one of our developers and it
is using recursion internally to do smog particle simulation over
many frames (visual effects).  Or systems are installed with
2GB of memory and they set there stack size to 128MB (from 64MB).

The program could write its data out to disk, but then the
performance gets killed.

We also had to knock up the stack size on the linux systems that
these programs are actually developed on.

- JimP

--
--- @(#) $Id: dot.signature,v 1.10 2001/05/17 23:38:49 Jim.Pirzyk Exp $
    __o   Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com ------------- pirzyk@freebsd.org