Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:20:21 +0000
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A breath of fresh air..

On Friday 07 December 2001  4:41 pm, Paul Robinson wrote:

> OK, so we're all now sick of the 'Feeding the Troll' thread and although
> this is kind of related, hopefully we won't end up in the same hell that
> thread led to. If you don't like this (and you should like it - if you're a
> reasonable person, anyway), flame me personally. :-)

Well, that warning didn't go down very well did it?

Look, it was an interesting balanced article on how some people just like the
simpler tools rather than command-line tools that come with Linux distros. My
hope in posting it was to try and create a bit of discussion around how to
make FreeBSD a nicer environment to learn and use Unix in. My long-term hope
was that we could look to helping -doc create perhaps a second handbook from
a user's perspective that just gets people up and running and sending their
e-mail without having to resort to the 'normal techniques' we would use.

Instead, we've ended up with the ressurection of a private argument between a
relatively small group of people. I can only apologise to the list for
believing that certain people would act in an adult manner and take their
personal arguments off-list. I don't enjoy walking in on a Monday morning to
find 150+ mails all from what seems to be the same three or four people
either.

*sigh*

If being a 'mature' OS means that the mailing lists turn into a place for
personal vendettas ('I want to play RMS - you played him last time!') and the
noise gets as bad as slashdot, perhaps we don't want to make the OS easy to
use and we should just drop -current and go back to 3.x-STABLE. :-)

--
Paul Robinson