Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 07:32:08 +0200
From:      "Thomas Widlundh" <tw@ettnet.se>
To:        "James" <effdefender@earthlink.net>
Cc:        "freeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help please!  Still Problems with XFree86 -configure on FreeBSD 4.6 -release

----- Original Message -----
>From: "James" <effdefender@earthlink.net>
>I've been struggling with this problem nearly every waking hour since
late
>Saturday night.
>I'm a newbie to running Unix, so please bear with me.  I just
installed
>FreeBSD for the first time Saturday night.
>I'm using FreeBSD 4.6 -release and XFree86 4.2.0
>I'm using an AOpen NVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 card with 128MB of DDR RAM,
which
>XFree86.org claims is supported by version 4.2.0
>
>Is anyone using a video card like mine successfully?
>
>I cannot configure XFree86 with any of these commands:
>XFree86 -configure
>xf86cfg
>X -configure

Hi,
The configure command is xf86config (note the size of the characters).
You can try to use xf98config as well. They are both residing in
/usr/X11R6/bin.
They will write and save the XF86Config file.

Otherwise you can config X from the install CD with /stand/sysinstall
and choose the X86Config option
(I don't recall the exact name of the option).

Note: I've noted that X is extremely sensitive about i.e. the mouse
protocol. The wrong protocol and X will not start.
This is about PS/2, IMPS/2 and so on, so try different protocols. See:
man XF86Config.
You'll have to do all this as root of course.

You can edit XF86Config (in /etc) directly with the editor vi, and
change i.e. the protocol, and then
directly try to start X to see if it worked.
You.ll have to know how to use vi. Se: man vi. I think there is a
tutor as well.
But first you are recommended to copy the (/etc/)XF86Config to e.g.
XF86Config-orig, or something with:
cp XF86Config XF86Config-orig
If you mess up XF86Config after a lot of tries and changes, you can
make a new fresh one from the *-orig by
cp XF86Config-orig XF86Config

You can log in as root as soon as the OS started. Then you can log in
as root again after Alt+F2. You can then
switch between Atl+F1 and Alt+F2, editing X in Alt+F1 and read the man
in Alt+F2. It's like two separate computers in a way.

God luck,
Thomas