Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:37:16 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Stuck "mt status" command -- how do I kill it?

I gave a "mt status" command on a DAT drive that was still loading the tape.
For whatever reason--not sure if it was hardware or software--the command
hung, with the light flashing on the tape drive.  Try as I might, I couldn't
get past this command, which I issued on the console.  CTRL/C did no good.
I tried logging in as root from another terminal and killing the process for
the mt command with -9, but nothing happened.  A ps command reported the
process as being in state D.  I tried issuing the same command from another
terminal, and that hung too, but I was able to kill it just by disconnecting
(not an option on the console).  I finally killed the calling shell on the
console, which logged it off.  That didn't kill the process running mt, but
it did free the console.  At that point I was out of ideas so I rebooted,
which made the problem go away.

Was there any other option besides a reboot in this case?