Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:43:23 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Richard Wenninger" <wenninger@cox-internet.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Breaking permissions on Windows 2000 (Server Edition)

Richard writes:

> No, but I trust the source code.

How can you trust the source code, but not the people who wrote it?

> Trust, but verify.

Verification is not a practical goal when millions of lines of code are
involved.

> Age old tactic.  Not possible with windows.

And not practical with FreeBSD.  There could be a hundred Trojan horses in
the code and you'd never know it, even though you have all the source code.

> You can IF you can code.

No, even if you can code, you cannot.  Too much code, too little time, and
typically no documentation.  I've actually had to do this sort of thing, and
unless you can afford to dedicate your life to verifying the code of an
operating system, having the source provides you with no guarantees at all
... if anything, it just engenders a false sense of security.

> Since you have no idea of the level of MY coding
> skills, I resent being told I can't, assuming
> I was given the code.

It doesn't matter how good your coding skills are.  It's a practical
impossibility, in any case.

> You paying?

Not without a track record.

> Yeah right.

I'm glad we agree.

> I'm in the same business.

Which business is that?

> I'm respected in this business.

So is Microsoft.

> I even support and code for Microsoft platforms.

So do several million other people.

> I don't even require companies to use ONLY me,
> or purposely write code that makes it harder
> for other programmers to work with.

I don't know anyone who does.

> Buyer beware.

Buyer satisfied.