Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:07:23 -0700
From:      Jason George <j.b.george@ieee.org>
To:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Issue with Bad Block scan on fresh disk

I was building two new 3.0 boxes when I stumbled upon a little nuance with the bad block scan within the initial sysinstall.  I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this or had any suggestions.

Here's the scenario:

I took a new 5.2G Quantum IDE drive out of the sealed static bag, configured the BIOS to detect it, and booted the 3.0-RELEASE boot floppy.

I chose a Custom Install, and Dangerously Dedicated the entire disk, set it bootable, and flagged a Bad Block Scan.  I then sliced the disk.  When it finally came time to do the bad block scan and subsequent filesystem generation, the bad block scan DID NOT proceed, yet the filesystem generation and system install did continue to completion.

A little perplexed, I rebooted and followed my normal installation procedure (Custom Install, Dangerously Dedicated, etc, as above).  This time, the bad block scan ran before the filesystem generation.  The system install continued to completion.

I thought this was a freak occurence, but when I built a second box with another farm-fresh virgin drive using the same procedure, the bad block scan was ignored again.  I reinstalled a second time on the second box.  The bad block scan ran fine.

I'd dig more into this, but the cost of iteration makes the work a little difficult.  ;-)

--Jason
j.b.george<at>ieee.org
jbg<at>masterplan.org