Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:51:20 +1000
From:      "Eddie Irvine" <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ed0 device: Gruesome performance with TCP

Hi.

Have done some tests and found that my 2.2 stable box is giving
only between 5 kb/sec and 25 kb/sec with ftp and samba.

10BaseT network, NE2000 compatable ed0 device on the isa
bus.

This slowness has been isolated to the BSD box.

It took me 6 months to notice this - I usually just run netatalk
and a apache, and I was trying to find out why samba was
so slow. Netatalk can transfer files at around 0.5 Mb/sec -
which is around what I'd expect.

When the really slow ftp process is running, I notice the
collision light on the network hub is blinking on and of
about once a second - steady - even when there
are only two machines up on the network.

On the other hand, I the put in a PCI 10 base T NE2000
card (ed1) and configured that as the primary
interface, rebooted, and voila! ftp is now around
600 kb/sec.

I still need to use the ISA card as I'm running out of slots,
(will be using the BSD box as a router).

Any pointers as to where I should start troubleshooting?
I due to all the collisions that occur I'm beginning to think
it is a shonky card.

Thanks in advance
Eddie.