Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:19:22 -0400
From:      "jason" <kib@mediaone.net>
To:        "Rob" <europax@home.com>, <ybbor@freedom.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd being hacked

You should first try to boot in single user mode to recover the root
password.

Do so by pressing any other key when you see the 10 second count down.  At
the prompt type:
boot -S

Then after the system boot up to the command prompt mount your drives with:
mount -A

At that point you should be able to use the passwd command.  Also you should
NEVER allow telnet access to the root or toor accounts (at least in my
opinion).  If you need root access from remote then create a regular account
and add it to the wheel group.  You can login and us the SU command to deal
with root tasks.

Also be sure that you either delete toor or set a password for it.  I
personally do not like the account so I delete it after install.

That's the extent of my limited expertise.  If you need any more help let me
know.