Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:51:57 -0500
From:      "Ben" <ben@cahostnet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD and Linux (More Questions!)

OK, I've read the numerous postings on this list about this debate
but I still have questions that I haven't seen the answers to.

To start, I am a newbie in the Unix arena but not in networking in
general.  I'm trying to learn Unix to better my career as I think
it's still a better solutions in several ways of NT.  Don't get me
wrong, there are some reasons for going NT as well.  I have an open
mind.  The reason for learning Unix is like I said to better my
career and to also give me a better understanding on networking in
general.  Unix does a better job at this.

I currently have two FreeBSD boxes running as servers to again learn
the operating systems, and I love it.  It's been running fine without
problems or reboots!! Big plus.  Recently, I decided I was going to
use my workstation and run Unix as my primary operating system doing
a dual boot of course.  I am currently running Linux Red Hat which is
also running fine.  But reading the previous posting on BSD and Linux
I started to think, is this the better choice.  What are the industry
standards?  My goal is to use an operating system that will be
helpful to me at my job or next job to be.  I will like to have the
knowledge to help me use Unix in a more effective way.  Red Hat is
pretty easy to install.  And there are lots of applications for it.
It supports a large variety of hardware.  My machine installed
without problems.

These are my requirements for my desktop.  First of all let me say
that this will be used for desktop purposes so It's important the
operating system of choice is user friendly and supports the desktop
hardware well, such as cd burners, sound cards and others.  Here they
are:

Large hardware support
Large application support
Easy configuration and installation of OS and apps
FTP installs if possible
Ports collections for easy upgrades and installations

Port collection for easy upgrades and installations

I looked at slackware as suggested by someone on the list.  Slackware
doesn't even have an ftp installation.  Upgrades will be a bit tricky
and a hassle.  The amount of support needed will not be there.  I may
be wrong on this.  My findings of BSD is that it's more of a server
based operating system.  Is this correct?

So the final question.  Should I stick with Red Hat Linux, go with
slackware or go with BSD?  What will you guys recommend and why.  I
appreciate your input and thank you in advance.  Sorry this is so
long.

Ben