Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:37:48 +0100
From:      "Morten Seeberg" <ml@seeberg.dk>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@pooh.elsevier.nl>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is -STABLE really stable?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@pooh.elsevier.nl>
To: "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>
Cc: <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 1:31 PM

> > But from my experience, STABLE is often is more unstable than RELEASEs,
can
> > this be true? Is it due to the changes which are made on a day-to-day
basis
> > on STABLE??
>         It can be true, RELEASEs usually follow a beta test period during
which
> the commits are constrained somewhat. STABLE usually contains bug fixes
and
> features merged from current.

So there is actually really no easy way to stay updated on a production
machine (which has to be stable at every cost), because RELEASE is the only
actual stable system known the everyday users?

Since 3.0 has been out for about a year, why not make more "RELEASE"
versions during a year? Or just freeze a few snapshots during the STABLE
branch?