Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:46:53 -0500
From:      "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        "Daniel Inzirillo" <dinz@videotron.ca>, "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't get to Internet - Tinker with /etc/hosts?

From: "Daniel Inzirillo" <dinz@videotron.ca>
To: "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 9:59 PM
Subject: Can't get to Internet - Tinker with /etc/hosts?

> I have two machines connected to a router using DHCP.
> One is a freshly installed FreeBSD 4.7, the other one runs Linux.
> They can ping each other.
> I can access the Internet from the Linux machine, but not from
FreeBSD.
> On starting up, Gnome gave me a message to the effect that it
couldn't
> resolve the host name, and may be to go edit /etc/hosts.
>
> Is it likely that I need to add anything to /etc/hosts to fix my
problem?
> What?

Not as likely as some others, I think.  What happens when you attempt
to ping the router from the FBSD box?

What was Gnome message, exactly?  FBSD needs to have an interface
with an configured IP, a gateway route, and name service to access
the
Internet.

Here's a bit from one of my boxes:

contents of /etc/resolv.conf:

domain daleco.biz
nameserver 192.168.11.1       <-----that's the IP of the router,
which queries
                                                    nameservers and
gives the DNS info to the box

partial contents of /etc/rc.conf:

defaultrouter="192.168.11.1"
hostname="ezekiel.daleco.biz"
ifconfig_dc0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"

As long as the router is connected and serves DNS info, and
does NAT, you should be able to connect.  If the router
does DHCP, replace the quoted material after "ifconfig" with
"DHCP" and watch it go.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.