Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:55:52 +0500
From:      Sergey Gershtein <sg@ur.ru>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[4]: Strange lock-ups during backup over nfs after adding 1024M RAM

On Friday, January 25, 2002 you wrote:
DW> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Sergey Gershtein wrote:

>> It's a rather heavily loaded web server (average of 25 requests/sec,
>> 100kb/sec), so I guess it's a lot of network. Could you please point
>> me to the right direction where to read about mbuf monitoring?  I
>> found some info in the Handbook (6.10 Tuning Kernel Limits), but there
>> are not much unfortunately.

DW> 'netstat -m', watch these lines:
DW> 131/864/10240 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
DW> 128/172/2560 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)

DW> You want to keep the second number about 80% of the third number. If it
DW> gets too close bump the kernel tunables kern.mbufs and kern.nmbclusters
DW> (or set options MBUFS and NMBCLUSTERS in the kernel config).

Today the lock-up happened again during backup over nfs with no sign
in any log files or on console. It was running 4.4-STABLE kernel
cvsuped yesterday with MAXUSERS 128 and NMBCLUSTERS=8192... Any ideas
on where to look?

The strange thins is that we have another server with exactly the same
hardware and amout of RAM which works fine.  The only difference is
that its kernel was compiled with MAXUSERS 1024 for some reason.  Do I
really need to bump MAXUSERS so high to handle more than 1Gb of RAM?

Regards,
Sergey Gershtein