Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:29:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: runtime nfs mount options for existing mounts

> > I can say that, if someone else came up with the syscall/VFS
> > changes, I
> > could easily implement a function in the NFS client that generates
> > the
> > name/value pairs like nmount() uses. (There is currently a function
> > that
> > basically does that for the old mount() and I think a slightly
> > modified
> > version of that would do it. However, I haven't actually tried
> > it.:-)
>
> Old mount(2) doesn't do this. All mount(8) just use statfs(2).
> statfs()
> just returns the old mount flags and a couple of other broken things
> (async and sync i/o counts) that are used mainly by mount -v.

All I was trying to say here was that the NFS client(s) already
have a function that turns the flags, etc in the old mount args
into the name/value pairs used by nmount() so that the old
mount() still works. I believe that this function could return
the mount options (set as flag bits in the nfs variant of the
kernel mount structure, etc) as nmount() style name/value pairs
if there was a way to get them to userland. (It could be done as
yet another flag for nfssvc() if no other file system needs this
capability.)

rick