Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:01:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      <mark@fantoma.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Routing, NAT'ing and and external ADSL router.

Hey people,

I couldn't seem to find any information anywhere regarding how to do
this, and I tried to do it myself with my somewhat limited networking
skills (I'm a relative newbie to FreeBSD).

This is the setup.

I have 2 network cards in the gateway machine.
rl0 is 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
rl1 is 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
(p.s. I know realtek suck.. but they were just spare cards!)

There is an external ADSL router connected to rl1, who's IP address is
192.168.1.2

The default router is "192.168.1.2"

natd is enabled, and the natd interface is "rl1"
and gateway is enabled.

I also have the IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL options in the kernel.
(and my firewall config has add divert natd from any to any via rl1)
Now, I've "sort-of" gotten it to work at the moment.. however I'm not
sure of a few settings.

First off, it only seems to work if I also enable NATing on the ADSL
router, which I would've thought would've caused problems due to "double
NATting"
Secondly, due to this setup, I don't really know how to configure the
firewall..

Any, and I mean any, help would be appreciated! :)

Cheers,
Mark