Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 18:45:05 -0700
From:      ulairi <ulairi@ulairi.org>
To:        David Loszewski <drlski@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with startup, need help ASAP

Quoting David Loszewski <drlski@attbi.com>:

> if I hit return that brings me into single-user mode I think but none of
> the drives are mounted so I don't have any commands like the vi command
> or ee command to edit the fstab file.  What is the file supposed to look
> like in the fstab and how would I edit it if I can't edit it?
>
> Dave

fsck should be available.
Also, try "mount -a" - this will attempt to mount what it can based
on /etc/fstab. This may bring in enough of a toolset (/usr/bin, et cetera) for
you do more.

If not, dump out /etc/fstab and start running fsck against those partitions.

If the system is so horribly messed up that you do not even have "mount"
or "ls", you have, realistically, only 3 options.

1) Try to salvage the system by getting to some utilites. If "ls" is not
avilable, most shells will let you do stuff like "for i in *; do echo $i;
done" - poor man's ls

2) Whip out the install CD set, boot from the install CD, get into the
emergency shell, start fixing things that way

3) FSCK gives up, you have a full-blown-bar-none hardware failure... replace
hardware, restore from backups (you *do* have backups, right?)

--
"To achieve victory when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme
of excellence. Nor is it the true acme of excellence when you win and the whole

                                Sun Tzu, The Art of War. [6th Century. B.C.E.]"