Date:      05 Aug 2002 11:26:43 +1000
From:      Mark Sergeant <msergeant@looksmart.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MWave modem on Vaio R505EC?

Just out of interest I tried this on my toshiba portege 4000 and get the
same error, one day when I get around to rebooting I might have a
fiddle.

Cheers,

Mark

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 10:46, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I have a Vaio R505EC and I'm trying to get the built-in mwave modem to
> > work with the mwave loadable module port.  The port claims to be for th=
> > Thinkpads in particular, but I suppose it should work with any mwave
> > modem.
>=20
> > When the module is loaded, dmesg tells me this:
> >=20
> > mwave0: <mwave> on isa0
> > smapi::smapi_init, ERROR invalid usSmapiID
> > tp3780i::Initialize SMAPI is not available on this machine
> > Mwave Modem, ERROR cannot Initialize DSP error 5
> > device_probe_and_attach: mwave0 attach returned 5
> > sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>=20
> Any ideas?
> Ben,
>=20
> Wow! I never realized that Sony (or anybody other than IBM) used that
> DSP.=20
>=20
> This looks like a BIOS problem. The BIOS must be configured to have
> the DSP and the serial device configured. On the IBM, this means that
> the internal modem requires that two IRQs (normally 3 and 10) be
> assigned in BIOS. The first is the DSP, normally at 10, and the second
> is the aerial pseudo-device, normally 3. The mWave driver attempts to
> get the IRQ values from BIOS, so other values can probably be used,
> but they MUST be assigned in BIOS as that s the only way the deriver
> can find them. There is no mechanism to specify them.
>=20
> Make sure that you are not using either IRQ for some other device in
> either FreeBSD or in BIOS.
>=20
> Let me know if you can get it to work.
>=20
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Mark Sergeant
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
=20
L=F4=F4kSmart International Pty. Ltd.
Level 5/388 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, VIC, 3000
Australia=20
P. (03) 9648 2201=20
F. (03) 9648 2244=20
http://www.looksmart.com.au

This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or
otherwise use the information contained in this email and we request
that
you delete it from your system and notify the sender and/or LookSmart
International Pty Ltd immediately.