Date:      29 Oct 2002 19:19:02 -0800
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: further on GL/gl.h

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 12:06, Julian Elischer wrote:

> the following ports all install teh same file:
> julian# find . -name "pkg-plist" |xargs grep "GL/gl.h"
> ./graphics/Mesa3/pkg-plist:%%XFREE3:%%include/GL/gl.h
> ./graphics/linux_mesa/pkg-plist:usr/include/GL/gl.h
> ./graphics/linux_mesa3/pkg-plist:usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h
> ./graphics/utah-glx/pkg-plist:include/GL/gl.h
> ./devel/mingw-opengl-headers/pkg-plist:i386-mingw32msvc/include/GL/gl.h
> ./x11/XFree86-4-libraries/pkg-plist:include/GL/gl.h
>
> this means that if you delete one..... oops
> the other packages are screwed.. I just go bit by this..
> (see other email)
>
> Any suggestions as to how this might be handled?

You shouldn't have Mesa3 or utah-glx installed if you have
XFree86-4-libraries.  I don't think you would have linux_mesa and
linux_mesa3 installed at the same time (they are /compat/linux based),
and the chances of you also needing the linux gl.h I think are slim :)
So I don't see any real conflict here with a semi-recent set of ports
unless you're using X 3, mesa3 for glut, and utah-glx for your GL.

However, I do wish that the package system kept some sort of reference
count for files so that on delete of a package it wouldn't delete files
unless no package referenced that filename any more.  This was a problem
when I moved a file from X4-clients to X4-libraries and portupgrade
installed the new libraries, deleted the old clients (deleting the new
libraries's file), then installed the new clients.

--
Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/