Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:21:44 +1030
From:      bastill@adam.com.au
To:        Grant Peel <grant@expresshost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ooops.

Quoting Grant Peel <grant@expresshost.net>:

> Hi all,
>
> Two hard drives.
>
> da0s1
> da1s1
>
> da0 is primary boot and OS drive.
>
> da1 is a mirror drive.
>
> da1's filesystems are mounted on /mnt.
>
> Silly me runs a rm -rf * while in /mnt .
>
> Next thing I know EVERYTHING is gone.
>
> What did I miss here?

Been there - done that!  :-(

rm will, unless specifically denied (I THINK you can do that), also follow symlinks.
In my case I was copying files from one HD to another, put one in the wrong
place, and deleted it using rm -rf , only to find that it deleted the original
as well!  :-(

I'm looking at two possible undelete options.  ffsrecov (in ports) and  recover
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/sysadm/recover.tar.Z

One of them might work for you.

PS I think rm needs looking at so it defaults to NOT deleting copy AND source by
default.

--
Brian