Date:      Sat,  1 Feb 2003 20:53:43 +1030
From:      bastill@adam.com.au
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ooops.

Quoting Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>:

> I've been quietly following this thread since it started and ...
> I can't reproduce this behaviour.  I've created and deleted I don't
> know how many test directories and symlinks and I can't get it to
> do what you're claiming it did.

As root, try copying directory from one disk to another, then rm -rf directory
from the copy.
That seems to be what the two recent examples have in common.
The only difference between the two experiences is that I was able to remove
(eg) the copied bin directory without affecting the original, but suffered when
trying to remove the copied home directory.  I assumed (perhaps incorrectly)
that the symlink attached to home was the cause.

> He's absolutely correct.  Without the _exact_ command that you used,
> it's going to be very hard to figure out what went wrong.
> Are you using a shell that keeps a command history (i.e. bash)? If
> so, can you get us the exact command that you issued?

Yes - use tcsh as root.  Unfortunately the history only goes so far back and
lots has happened since.  Sorry.  However, I'd be prepared to swear on a (small)
stack of bibles that the command I issued was:
rm -rf home
This removed /slash/var/home from /dev/ad2 as I wished, but also removed the
original /usr/home on /dev/ad0.
I had RTFM because I knew rm was very powerful and that undeletion was "impossible".
-rf is all that is required to delete a directory and any subdirectories
therein, is it not?

--
Brian