Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:21:24 -0400
From:      Adam McLaurin <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports vs. Packages

--=-wM85goYPfXzAlKKDk7xR

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 19:14, Charles Howse wrote:
> I'm confused ( which is not an uncommon occurrence ), let's say I know I
> don't need to edit the source code of any of the additional software
> that I plan to install, but I want the latest version.
>=20
> Should I install from ports or sysistall/packages/FTP?
>=20
> I just installed Midnight Commander from ports ( make && make install &&
> make clean ), and with all the dependencies, it took over 30 minutes on
> my Celeron 300 w/64 MB, vs. less than a minute from sysinstall.

Neither. I'd recommend installing sysutils/portupgrade and using the
portinstall option to fetch & install packages (so you always get the
latest version). Check the -P and -PP options to portinstall.

Note that doing this will require you to have an updated ports tree.
You'll need to cvsup your ports regularly (net/cvsup-without-gui). There
are many threads on the mailing lists with detailed information on how
to cvsup your ports tree and rebuild your INDEX.

--=20
Adam McLaurin <blueeskimo@gmx.net>

--=-wM85goYPfXzAlKKDk7xR

--=-wM85goYPfXzAlKKDk7xR--