Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:40:44 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@sw.ru>
Cc:        gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome mixer does not work as well as mixer-applet

--=-IbJ7xsyT1nGCPiPrQOfv

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 02:35, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> I have detected and working sound subsystem (actually it is not changed
> for some years). esdplay works fine.
>=20
> After upgrade gnome from marcus cvs=20
> gnome-volum-control complains about
> "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found"
> and mixer-applet refuses to change volume (but not complains about no
> device).
>=20
> % mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
> Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
> Recording source: mic
> % cat /dev/sndstat=20
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <NeoMagic 256AV> at memory 0xfe000000, 0xfea00000 irq 9 (1p/1r/0v
> channels duplex default)
> % ls -l /dev/mixer /dev/dsp
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   3 Mar  3 09:32 /dev/dsp
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   0 Mar  3 09:32 /dev/mixer
> % esdplay /usr/local/share/licq/sounds/icq/Message.wav
> <q-q>
> %
>=20
> Any ideas ?
>=20
> Yesterdays 5-CURRENT and gnome
>=20
> # pkg_glob esound
> esound-0.2.33
> #
>=20
> On the next machine with same packages (actually I have build backages
> on that machine and install here) it works.

Yeah, that's the interesting thing.  Adam is seeing this same problem,
but I'm not.  My machine is also a -CURRENT machine from two days ago,
with an Intel ich soundcard.  I did see this problem briefly on my GNOME
2.4 laptop, but after removing and re-adding the sound applet, it worked
again.  Adam didn't have any luck.  The only thing I can think of is for
an affected user to get a strace or truss of the applet starting up so
we can see what's failing.

Joe

--=20

--=-IbJ7xsyT1nGCPiPrQOfv