Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 22:13:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Very strange packet-forwarding behavior!

I have an ISDN line hanging off of whisker.cdrom.com, my little 486
DX2 based router.  It runs an older (pre-instabilities) version of
-current and has been happy in its role as a router for my internal
net for some time.  I routinely ftp huge files across it, run sups,
you name it.

All of this came to a screeching halt this evening when I started
using ssh with `remote cvs' to check out a tree straight from
freefall's ncvs tree onto my development box (time.cdrom.com).  The
ISDN TA's receive light is fairly well pegged solid, which has always
generally been the case while receiving large files and such - I
routinely get 10.5K/sec from ftp, which is pretty much the theoretical
max for an async 115.2K ISDN link.  With ssh eating the line, however,
everything else grinds to a screeching halt.  I can't even *ping* any
other hosts through whisker, nor do DNS queries or any other forms of
traffic get through.  It's like ssh is not only eating all the
bandwidth, it's eating it at such a "high priority" that absolutely
nothing else can get through, not even pings.  If I ^Z the cvs op
that's using ssh, everything suddently starts working again.  Once I
foreground it, it's wedge city again.

I dunno, I've never had to suspend a process just to get name lookups
to work before! :-)

Any ideas?

					Jordan