Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:48:09 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        "R. W." <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Sound after upgrading KDE

--=-U4R048pJW8hBsVx8WtqR

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 21:37 +0100, R. W. wrote:
> I recently upgraded to KDE 3.3 (under FreeBSD 5.2.1) and the sound=20
> stopped working properly. I hear the tune as KDE starts up, but then=20
> there is no sound after that. Multimedia applications still work=20
> properly under XFce, it's just KDE.

I suspect that you may be seeing the same issue that I do when I start
KDE. Next time you start KDE (after freshly rebooting the system or
proceeding from a setup where you know sound works properly), open a
console login somewhere and run the mixer command. Note its output: what
are the values for the various devices? I've seen that, after starting
KDE 3.3, all of my mixer devices are set to 0 -- thus muted. They're not
broken; you just need to manually reset them. The two important ones (at
least with the sound cards that I've used on FreeBSD) are mixer and pcm,
though cd may be important if you have your CD-ROM drive hooked up to
your sound card, but I don't know for sure as I've never used that
configuration. On my machine, with my Creative SBLive! PCI sound card
(as supported by snd_emu10k1), here are the default, working settings:

Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75

Note that, as the manual for mixer states, not all devices may be
present in your configuration, and you may have more devices than I list
here.

--=-U4R048pJW8hBsVx8WtqR

--=-U4R048pJW8hBsVx8WtqR--