Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:22:21 +0200
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSRepositories

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 10:08 -0800, Joe McCarty wrote:
> I have installed RANCID and CVSWeb on a Fedora Core 2 box.  RANCID is
> fully funcitonal--it can log into my devices, get the configs, increment
> versions, and email diffs.

What's RANCID?

> Pointing my browser at http:/foo.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi, I draw an error
> message, "Error: No valid CVS roots found! See @CVSrepositories in the
> configuration file (/etc/cvsweb/cvsweb.conf)."
>
> log/httpd/error_log states, "Root '/home/rancid/var/rancid/CVS' defined in
> @CVSrepositories is not a directory, entry ignored at
> /var/www/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi line 491."
[...]
> /home/rancid/var/rancid/CVS is indeed a directory, and is the root of the
> RANCID CVS tree.

Do you happen to have SELinux enabled?  If yes, additional clues might
be found in /var/log/messages.  At least in FC3, CGI scripts have heavy
restrictions in what files they can access by default.  cvsweb.cgi
cannot even access /etc/cvsweb/cvsweb.conf unless explicitly permitted,
let alone anything below /home/$something...

Is RANCID some kind of a CGI script too?

>   An evironmental variable "CVSROOT" is define for root,
> pointing at this folder.

That should not affect the operation of CVSweb in any way.

> What is my error, and what is the fix?

Dunno yet.  Check the SELinux part first.