Date:      Sun, 09 Nov 1997 15:36:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>
Cc:        jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee), perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu, freebsd@atipa.com, cmott@srv.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDT processors?

> why would anyone want to use anything else than r10000?
>
> now, _that_ would be a port i'd like to see, freebsd on SGI platform.
>
> how likely is it?

Depends on how fast you're able to do the port, I guess! :)

Seriously, simply calling for a port to a new platform is a waste of
time since we've been asked, at one point or another, to port FreeBSD
to just about every architecture on the market today and we've even
been offered money to port to architectures like the UltraSPARC.

Finding the people who have both the ability and the time to do this,
however, is a lot harder and I wish that people would simply leave us
alone on this topic unless they're also willing to do the work of
porting FreeBSD to a new architecture *and* be willing maintain it in
the tree for some reasonable number of years afterwards.  Otherwise,
don't waste our time in a frivolous discussion of something which
can't and won't happen without such volunteer labor being available.

					Jordan