Date:      Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:56:02 +0100
From:      Mark Nowiasz <buckaroo@gmx.de>
To:        Freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdm, RELENG_6 update

Jürgen Dankoweit wrote:

> > Right now gdm is absolutely useless - does anyone have an idea how to
> > fix the problem?
>
> Yes. I Have fixed the problem for by doing the following things:
> (1) Disable starting gdm from /etc/rc.conf
> (2) Rewriting the start script into the old startup style
> (3) renaming /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh to
> /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/xxxxxserver.sh
>
> This solved the problem with gdm that I have since FBSD 5.3 stable

Hmm - you mean changing /etc/ttys to

        ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

?

I toyed with the idea, but to me this solution looks dirty - according
to gdm, the canonical way is using rc.conf.

I still don't understand why gdm is racing against initd *after*
updating the world (gdm worked fine before the update) and why the
changed gdm.conf (or the factory conf) doesn't work - could it be that
there's a slight difference between the amd64 world and the i386 world?

Happy new year everyone,
Mark
		-- Mark Twain