Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 02:25:20 EST
From:      Master589095296@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with 100mbit lan running <16KB/sec file xfers

--part1_11f.6aa9f9e.29164760_boundary

Hello,

I am having a problem with FreeBSD4.4-STABLE-10.29.2001 network performance.
I am using Netgear FA-312 network adapters in all machines with a NDC
Communications NSH510 5 port switch.  Three machines are running FreeBSD.
All FreeBSD machines are running the same version.  There are two Windows
computers running Win98SE.  All network connections are 100mbit full-duplex
as stated by ifconfig and windows and the switch.

Problem:  FTP or NFS file transfers between any of the three FBSD machines
with file sizes say >60KB, the connection slows to a crawl and stops.  FTP
file transfers between the Win98 machines and FBSD machines have the same
problem.  But, using file transfers between the two Win98 machines, file
transfer throughput is in the 10-12 MegaByte/sec range.  Note that I did not
start having this problem before I upgraded the FBSD machines to 4.4-STABLE
from 4.2STABLE.  I have submitted a bug report to GNATS, but it was closed
stating that it is a config problem between the NICs and the switch on my
end.  How can it be a config problem on my end when the only thing that has
changed is the software load on the FBSD machines?  Also, if the config
theory is true, then how does one account for the fact that the Windows
machines don't have this problem?  I have even rotated cables and ports and
the problem stays with the three FBSD machines.  The only fix that I have
found so far is to set the network adapters to half-duplex mode.  Any
suggestions before I resubmit a GNATS problem report?

Dan.

--part1_11f.6aa9f9e.29164760_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Hello,
<BR>
<BR>I am having a problem with FreeBSD4.4-STABLE-10.29.2001 network performance. &nbsp;I am using Netgear FA-312 network adapters in all machines with a NDC Communications NSH510 5 port switch. &nbsp;Three machines are running FreeBSD. &nbsp;All FreeBSD machines are running the same version. &nbsp;There are two Windows computers running Win98SE. &nbsp;All network connections are 100mbit full-duplex as stated by ifconfig and windows and the switch.
<BR>
<BR>Problem: &nbsp;FTP or NFS file transfers between any of the three FBSD machines with file sizes say &gt;60KB, the connection slows to a crawl and stops. &nbsp;FTP file transfers between the Win98 machines and FBSD machines have the same problem. &nbsp;But, using file transfers between the two Win98 machines, file transfer throughput is in the 10-12 MegaByte/sec range. &nbsp;Note that I did not start having this problem before I upgraded the FBSD machines to 4.4-STABLE from 4.2STABLE. &nbsp;I have submitted a bug report to GNATS, but it was closed stating that it is a config problem between the NICs and the switch on my end. &nbsp;How can it be a config problem on my end when the only thing that has changed is the software load on the FBSD machines? &nbsp;Also, if the config theory is true, then how does one account for the fact that the Windows machines don't have this problem? &nbsp;I have even rotated cables and ports and the problem stays with the three FBSD machines. &nbsp;The only fix that I have found so far is to set the network adapters to half-duplex mode. &nbsp;Any suggestions before I resubmit a GNATS problem report?
<BR>
<BR>Dan.
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>