Date:      Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:10:45 -0500
From:      Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Facilitating binary kernel upgrades

Hello all,

I have become a fan of Colin Percival's freebsd-update, which allows
binary updates of the GENERIC kernel and unmodified userland.

Binary kernel updates are not possible if I modify my kernel to
include support for IPSec or NAT, e.g.

device                crypto
options         FAST_IPSEC
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPDIVERT

After speaking with Colin, he mentioned that IPSec, NAT, and disk
quotas (enabled via options QUOTA) are the three most popular kernel
changes that prevent people from running GENERIC and hence using
freebsd-update for binary kernel updates.

Can anyone shed light on why those three features are not available in GENE=
RIC?

Thank you,

Richard
http://www.taosecurity.com