Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:27:30 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>, Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

--On Saturday, September 22, 2001 16:21:42 -0700 Terry Lambert
<tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> Did the US express outrage and decide to wage a war on terrorism when the
>> IRA blew up the hotel that the UK govt were staying in at the time, or
>> when they killed a member of our royal family, or when they carried out
>> a mortar attack on the MI5 HQ?
>
> I don't know.  I rather suspect that, unless you are talking
> about the Clinton administration, that the answer is "yes".

I suggest you look into the issues a little more deeply. The US did nothing
to assist the UK in it's fight against terrorism. It was actually Clinton
that changed US policy to try and broker peace in the province, until that
time the US was assisting the IRA, at least to the extent that it was
allowing it's citizens to support the cause financially.

>> Did the UK decide to wage war on innocent countries when faced with
>> such provocation?
>
> You mean like Ireland, for harboring the IRA?  That would be a
> "yes".

That would be no. That's a ludicrous statement to make; the UK never waged
a war against Ireland.

>> There needs to be a reasoned response to this attack, and declaring war
>> on countries because some of their residents are suspected of being
>> involved is not a reasonable response. It's more a symptom of the
>> foreign policy the US has had for many years which led to the terrorist
>> attack in the first place. i.e. do what we want or we will send the boys
>> around.
>
> What if the residents are provably involved, and the country is
> unwilling to permit extradition?

Then you live with it. Just like the UK lived with the fact that the
Locherbie bombers were resident in Libya. You pursue many avenues to try
and bring them to justice but you don't go declaring war on them.

It's the attitude that the US has that suggests that the solution is to go
and invade and teach the world a lesson. That's actually not very civilised
at all.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com