Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2015 20:11:27 +0000 (UTC)
From:      rondzierwa@comcast.net
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   sun x4500 and smp

I am using a sunfire x4500 (thumper) with a pair of dual-core opteron 290 processors, running 10.1-RELEASE to serve up zfs filesystems via nfs and samba.

The system reboots periodically when under load. I cannot find anything in any of the system logs that would account for why it rebooted, it just goes away for a while and comes back in a few minutes.

Out of desperation, I tried disabling all but one of the processors. (hint.lapic.x.disabled=1 where x == 1, 2 and 3). Oddly enough the system doesn't reboot anymore.

Is there any known issues about SMP not working on a sunfire x4500? I have searched the mail archives and haven't found anything useful.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
ron.