Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2013 00:33:49 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Hi :)

I'm sharing the same directory for Evolution emails, by several Linux
installs. For e.g. Ubuntu Precise it's Evolution 3.2.3 and for e.g.
Ubuntu Quantal it's Evolution 3.6.0.

I'm doing it by a link:

root@precise:~# ls -l /home/spinymouse/.local/share/evolution
lrwxrwxrwx 1 spinymouse spinymouse    58 Apr 28  2012 mail
-> /mnt/archlinux/home/spinymouse/.local/share/evolution/mail

I would like to share it with Evolution from my FreeBSD install, but
there's an issue regarding to permissions.

For FreeBSD I don't have control about the permissions of the mounted
Linux ext3 partitions.

I get:

root@freebsd:/usr/home/rocketmouse # ls -l /mnt
drwxrwx---  21 1000  1000   4096 Oct 28 19:11 archlinux
drwxrwxrwx   2 root  wheel  4096 Jan 20 20:09 dump

The user is able to access /dump, but only /root can access /archlinux.
The uid of the FreeBSD user is 1001. I wonder why for /archlinux I get
rwxrwx--- and for /dump rwxrwxrwx, those permissions, user and group
will be changed automatically.

Regards,
Ralf