Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2013 13:50:00 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christoph Roland Murauer <christoph_murauer@yahoo.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Cubieboard 2, UDOO and Galaxy Note 10.1 (Exynos).

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 20:51 +0200, Christoph Roland Murauer wrote:
> Thanks for your answers !
>=20
> Am 11.09.2013 um 04:35 schrieb Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>:
>=20
> >>=20
> >> UDOO seems to have i.MX6 SoC which support is not in src tree yet, a=
lthough
> >> ian@ is working on it iirc.
> >=20
> > I have a single-core i.mx6 (wandboard) booting to multiuser mode with
> > sdcard and ethernet drivers working.  I don't have usb going yet, but
> > someone else has it working on a quad-core, so that's more done than
> > not.  If we weren't in a code freeze I'd be thinking about getting th=
is
> > bare-bones support checked in so others can hack on it too.
> >=20
> > -- Ian
>=20
> I am not a developer / programmer (maybe planned to learn some C) but w=
hat do you mean with =A5code freeze" ? What could be done to get some pro=
gress at this topic ?
>=20

FreeBSD is getting close to releasing 10.0, so right now we can't make
major changes to the source base, only fixes and changes that tend to
stabilize things for the upcoming release.  Overall it's a great way to
get a solid release on existing platforms, but it's a bit hard to work
with right now in the ARM world where we have a lot of innovation
happening and suddenly we can't check in anything for a few weeks.

I've got USB up and running on my solo, btw, and I'm working on some
clock-and-power support that's a bit less of a hack than the ugly stuff
I did to get the board to boot at all.  In  a few days I think I'll be
able to publish a patchset anyone can use, even if I can't check it in
for a while. =20

I also ordered a wandboard quad, so in a couple weeks I'll have figured
out what things I've foolishly done in a imx6-solo-specific way and
rework them to work right on the whole imx6 family.

-- Ian

> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> As for Exynos, iirc we have basic support of Exynos 5250 (arndale bo=
ard), I
> >> don't know how that is different than 5420.
> >> But please note that if I'm correct we don't have FreeBSD with graph=
ics
> >> running yet on any tablet.
> >>=20
> >> Correct me if I'm wrong here.
> >>=20
> >> Ganbold
>=20
> The product is not out now but sounds interesting. When is it expected =
to have FreeBSD with graphics on a tablet (if ever - same question as abo=
ve, what could be done) ? The graphic part is not the topic for now ... I=
 do at the moment many XeLaTeX and Haskell / Hakyll stuff in the terminal=
 with Vim ... the other things could be done on a second machine.