Date:      Mon,  7 Dec 1998 02:04:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        Kurt@pinboard.com
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolver behaviour

Quoth Kurt Keller on Sun, 6 December:
:
: If someone tries to look up a hostname which simply does not exist (not
: every domain has hosts named ftp, mail, ns, pop, smtp...), what do you
: expect the resolver to do? Simply try till the end of time?

No, I'd like the resolver to try all of the nameservers which it is
configured to try, not to do so unnecessarily, but to do so in a
timely manner so that incremental delay is inconsequential.  The
information exists, out there in the DNS graph.  The trick is to
squeeze it out.  I can't count the times that I have had to resort to
manual lookups against alternate nameservers in order to make a
connection -- and this has been going on for at least 15 years by my
experience.

: If you have such a problem, then it's your DNS environment which is at
: fault, not the resolver.

While this is certainly true, fixing other problems in the resolver by
adding configurable new functionality would make it possible to fix
this in the resolver configuration.  The named setup to fix this
doesn't even *exist* in the current BIND 8 distribution, just in 3d pty
patches!

: If nameservers give bad responses find out where those bad responses
: are coming from and send a friendly explanatory e-mail to the admin. At
: least up to now it has always worked for me.

Most users will not know *how* to do this.  Those that do, don't have
the time for it.  Perhaps named should send mail to postmaster when
cache corruption is detected 1/2:-)  In general, the administrator
can't babysit every websurfing lab user to catch the rare lookup failure.

: >Again, the DNS environment on the Internet as a whole is very poor.
:
: Forward lookups usually work, but I agree that many sites are missing
: the propper setup for reverse lookup.

"Usually" is a telling characterization.  My experience indicates that
"usually" could approach much closer to "always" with a little
tweaking.

I'm very disappointed with this mailing list.  There is a real
problem which is not technically difficult to solve.  I'm hoping that
by raising the issue on this list, I can elicit some constructive
dialog.  While the critical commentary has been useful, more
*constructive* suggestions would be much more encouraging.