Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2014 19:28:25 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Winston Smith <smith.winston.101@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ARM <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-10-STABLE hangs when booting from BeagleBone Black eMMC

On Sun, 2014-04-27 at 21:10 -0400, Winston Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > When it comes to the eMMC timeouts that happen after you've booted,
> > that's something in my arena, but hard for me to debug without eMMC
> > hardware.  We've recently had a few changes to both the core sdhci
> > driver and to the ti_sdhci code that glues sdhci to the hardware.
> >
> > Do the timeouts happen often, or is this something you can do to trigger
> > them?  If so, it might be interesting to try to revert r264099 and see
> > if the problems go away.  Those changes were related to configuring the
> > sd clock.  I'm pretty sure the old code was wrong, but the replacement
> > code could have errors too. :)
>
> At this point:
>
> 1) Timeouts (11-CURRENT)
>     - I have seen them twice under heavy eMMC write load, but they
> haven't seemed to cause a problem for me
>     - Fabio did report the timeouts followed by a panic
> 2) I can't boot from eMMC with 10-STABLE (but I can with 11-CURRENT)
> (both using the *same* u-boot)
>
> So:
>
> A) Should I go back to 11-CURRENT?  (although I need 10-something for Golang)
> B) How can I/we help debug this further?
>
> Thanks!

If you need 10 we should probably figure out what the problem is there.
If the same u-boot works on 11 and fails on 10, then the difference must
be in ubldr, and there certainly have been changes there in 11.

The quickest way to test that theory would be to build the image for 10
and then hand-copy the ubldr from an 11 build onto that sdcard and see
if it works.  If so, we can see about merging some ubldr stuff to 10.
It may need to go into the msdos partition (I net-boot all my boards).

-- Ian