Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:33:32 +0200
From:      "Valentin Bud" <valentin.bud@gmail.com>
To:        "Frank Bonnet" <f.bonnet@esiee.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, charlie@cpsoftware.com
Subject:   Re: Installing Samba : FreeBSD Vs Linux ?

hello list,
 a little story about samba and FreeBSD.
I had to make a file server for a company that uses a program for
accounting. that software works with lots of files to do the job.

the software admin told me that the permissions should be very open on the
directories and files
so i made them 0777. the software worked like a charm for about 2 months but
after that
at some point the client couldn't access the files on the samba server.
 The files were there with the correct permissions but the software refused
to access them with
an error that they don't exist. I've tried to debug samba but couldn't find
a clue, i have updated
FreeBSD because i thought that the problem is with seekdir because the
software was usign lot of files
and directories. That didn't solve the problem either.
 I have searched the web for a guidance but couldn't find any. The
interesting part comes when
the company decided to change the OS to openSUSE. That did the trick. So
first
thing that comes in mind is that FreeBSD + samba + that accounting software
just don't work together.
I didn't had the chance to debug it as i should because they needed a fix
ASAP.

I have always used FreeBSD for web/file/VoIP server and never had a problem.
I even have a FBSD
box that server as a file server and there are lots of files and 10 depth
directories and it works like a charm.

I have no conclusions, is just a story of my own to help you make an
opinion.

all the best,