Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 1996 23:35:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        gj@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone got GNU `dld' ported to FreeBSD?

I can't get it to work and, looking through the code, I can't even
quite see how the examples *could* work!  It reads in the object file
fairly normally, e.g. it reads in the header, mallocs space for all
the segments, reads them in, does "relocation" and so on.  It's the
relocation code that's got me scratching my head.  In all of the
examples, there's some sort of weird assumption that the library
references are just magically "resolved" on behalf of the dynamic
having a hard time believing that it could have gone through 3
revisions this broken.

Anyone have any other dynamic symbol resolution code I could look at?
The dld and GCL (GNU Common Lisp, nee' KCL) code I have for doing this
kind of stuff now is highly GPL'd, and it'd be nice to not have to
bring more GPL stuff into the tree if we can help it.

I know that walking the relocation tables isn't rocket science, I just
don't want to have to look up what each and every relocation type is
supposed to do! :-(

					Jordan