Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:47:39 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: yes! or should I say Oh no! (CD ROM problems)

What you're saying is that it fails on the second open but
resets if you eject/reload the CD ?

Could you do me the favour and update to the latest current
and try again.

If that message comes from where I think, something is trying
to do non BDEV_SIZE multiple requests on a char device, a clear
no-no.

I know that Søren have had similar trouble reading audio tracks
(which have 2352 bytes/"sector") from ATAPI CD drives.

Poul-Henning

In message <Pine.GS4.4.10.9909021158300.3090-100000@elect8>, Nick Hibma writes:

>Jordan,
>
>You were referring to these messages?
>
>	#cd/2: invalid sector size 2352
>
>Symptoms: Once in a while ripenc doesn't work. Most of the times it
>does. The problem can be reproduced here, by inserting a CD into the
>player and then running the following commands:
>
>[Blast! Now it does work?! after opening and closing the drawer]
>
>In any case, the commands I used were:
>
>	cda -dev /dev/rcd0c on
>	cda -dev /dev/rcd0c toc
>

>This makes sense because ripenc failed once in a while before without a
>proper explanation. So it looks like something is not initialised
>sometimes, or there is a stack variable that is not initialised.
>
>Kernel:
>FreeBSD elpc36.jrc.it 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Aug 30
>08:37:12 CEST 1999     n_hibma@elpc36.jrc.it:/usr/src/sys/compile/ELPC
>i386
>
>Device:
>Device: /dev/cd0c -- "TEAC" "CD-R55S" "1.0L"
>

>Hope this helps.
>
>Nick
>--
>ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!