Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 01:16:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Idea Receiver <receiver@RedDust.BlueSky.net.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Build breakage (was: fail to compile kernel...)

Warner Losh writes:
> In message <14742.14082.837564.871879@guru.mired.org> Mike Meyer writes:
> : The nasty downside of the the module system is that people who don't
> : adequately test module code before checking it in will screw up kernel
> : builds for kernels that don't need that code.
> But I did test it.  But I had an uncommitted file on my machine...

Won't the 'cvs diff' command tell you about such things? If not,
that's yet another argument for ditching cvs in favor of something
without so many flaws (like Perforce).

> : Since you probably don't need the oldcard module. Just comment it out
> : of /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile, and rebuild the kernel. You may want
> : to comment out pccard as well.
> Or you can just update your sources.  There was a 8 hour window where
> this was broken...

Well, it was still broken as of about 30 minutes before he asked the
question. I'd look at it for trivial fixes, then just quit trying to
build it because I wasn't going to need it.

I didn't mean to finger you particularly. It's just a bit upsetting to
realize that I can't remember the last time I managed to do an update
to -current without some kind of breakage. I realize that -current
isn't guaranteed to build, but that's a bit ridiculous. I mean - I was
pleasantly surprised that I could build the world first time out. To
find the kernel breaking for a module that I have no absolutely no use
for on this machine was a bit upsetting.

I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't use -stable as a buffer, and
just let the committers deals with things not being up to -current. Or
maybe check to see if the other *BSD's aren't a bit more demanding of
committers.

	<mike