Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:51:12 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI retries without errors in /var/log/messages?

Kenneth D. Merry writes:
 > SCSI errors that we recover from aren't logged.

I think that most SCSI retries should be logged.

Except in some specific cases of retries after a unit attention
condition, retries are usually indicative of hardware trouble.

Don't most devices already use a number of internal retries which is
appropriate when they are healthy ? When external retries become
necessary and frequent, the situation is bad, and subsequent failures
are quite probable.

Better to be warned earlier.

 (There are also the retries caused by scsi protocol problems - bad
   bus - but these are usually followed by a bus reset which is logged ?)

And, by the way, 'recovered errors' sense keys (problems solved
internally by the device) should also be logged for the same reason,
only more benign, (but I'm not too sure that many devices actually
generate these).

Jean-Francois Dockes