Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:23:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@avaya.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice Open Source

Cambria, Mike <mcambria@avaya.com> types:
> Now that StarOffice sources are available, are there any plans to make a
> native FreeBSD version?

Yup, only it's going to be "openoffice". It's in the ports tree now,
marked as "broken: work in progress -- does not work yet."

> Will this happen auto-magically with GNOME on FreeBSD since GNOME is using
> StarOffice as their office tools?

I suspect not, as it never happend with AbiSuite, which used to be
GNOME office suite. And StarOffice is a *lot* bigger than AbiSuite.

OpenOffice is going to be worth a look. StarOffice is a nice product,
if only it didn't insist on running VNC to a Windows box running the
binaries ... oops, sorry, it just *looks* like that. If they've broken
the applications out into X windows, it could be a winner. If anyone
knows for sure, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Finally, if you want a FreeBSD native office suite now, consider
buying a copy of Applixware Office. 5.0 is a nice package.

	<mike