Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2018 21:52:18 +0100
From:      Michael Osipov <1983-01-06@gmx.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Eirik_=c3=98verby?= <eirik.overby@modirum.com>, java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Marie Helene Kvello-Aune <mhka@modirum.com>, jmd@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD

Am 2018-11-27 um 20:28 schrieb Eirik =C3=98verby:
> Hi,
>=20
> Realized I sent this from the wrong address to the wrong address .. sor=
ry if this comes across as pestering!
>=20
> I hope someone can take a look at the below, or point me in the right d=
irection.
>=20
> Wbr
> /Eirik
>=20
> Begin forwarded message:
>=20
>> From: Eirik =C3=98verby <ltning@anduin.net>
>> Date: 17 November 2018 at 12:24:36 EET
>> To: glewis@FreeBSD.org
>> Subject: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're a company that hosts all our code (payment- and authentication s=
tuff) on FreeBSD/Tomcat and we're being asked by our devs when we can hav=
e OpenJDK9^H10^H^H11 support. Before you ask - no, none of them are capab=
le of porting anything - they couldn't care less about the platform.

Same issue here: running FreeBSD, Java, Tomcat, and surroundings like=20
Ant, Maven, etc.

>> What would be the correct way to offer monetary (or other) support to =
the FreeBSD/Java project in such a way that
>> - the money is well spent?
>> - porting efforts can get some priority and attention, soonish?
>>
>> Not sure what kind of support would make a difference here, but we can=
 throw all sorts of hardware at the project, and at least a man-month or =
two if that's what it takes.

I don't think that hardware will really help. What really helps is=20
someone who can assist Greg or contact the foundation and remind them of =

[1], "Development of software for FreeBSD to benefit the user and=20
developer community, including contract development of critical system=20
infrastructure, porting of closed source applications such as Java(TM)." =

with your donation.

I talked with jmd@ about this gaining some traction for Java 11+ in=20
FreeBSD by joining AdoptAJDK and assisting Greg with this huge effort.
It just needs someone who will drive this. The first must be to get all=20
BSD related changes Greg and others have made into JDK8u, no more=20
bsd-port Hg repo.

Would you take on this?

Michael

[1] https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/overview/