Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:58:38 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Custom boot cd for FreeBSD

Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com> types:
> Could somebody please document, make a FAQ, or something about making a
> custom boot cd for FreeBSD.  It is documented on how to make a custom
> bootable floppy with a custom kernel, but not a cd.  What if the kernel
> won't fit on a floppy?  the bootable cd would be nice.  Use mkisofs with
> el-torito to make an image, ftp it over to a winblows box and use the cd
> creating software, or write with cdrecord.

The handbook now has an entry on creating CDs at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
>. It doesn't have a lot of detail on creating a bootable CD (I still
haven't done that), but the general idea is that you create an image
of a bootable floppy - except you get to use a 2.88M floppy for the
kernel - and put that in the tree for the CD. You then use the -b flag
of mkisofs to point out where the boot image is in the tree, and it
should do the rest.

If you do this and find problems, or can provide clarifications, feel
free to let me know and I'll submit them, or do a send-pr on them
yourself.

	<mike