Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 22:15:41 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@well.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright law, again...

James Howard <howardjp@well.com> types:
> On Tue, 22 May 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > the combatants in the current content wars. Stallman, and others like
> > him, have forced copyright holders to take extreme measures to ensure
> > that they continue to receive revenue from what is rightfully theirs.
>
> In the case of Napster and friends, I can see this, but I see no
> justification for Stallman pushing others to stronger measures.  Can you
> clarify and support this?

Of course he can't, he's just demoniziong Stallman so he can have
somebody eevil to blame for these things.  If you examine the
situation with a cool head, you'll realize that publishers have been
trying to extract extra revenue from the public for even longer,
starting at least as early as the extension of copyright in the first
quarter of the century.

	<mike