Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 04:44:21 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: favorite ports?

Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com> types:
> what i mean is when you guys do a fresh install of freebsd for a
> workstation/desktop type computer...what apps do you install?

Ahh, that's a slightly less vague question. lwm for a window manager -
small, fast, unobtrusive, and it does everything I want a window
manager to do - which is more than I can say for MS's products!
You'll want 9menu as well. gkrellm and some of the plugins for
it. Xemacs, of course. No computer is complete without an emacs. For
web work, the emacs psgml package as well. For working with cds,
cdrtools, mkisofs, tosha, cdrdao, xcdplayer and of course xmixer. For
graphics work, gimp, xsane and possibly photopc. Fxtv if I've got a tv
card. plaympeg and playavi for playing things. If I'm going to be
interacting with those who've drunk the MS cool-aide, StarOffice. If I
need office tools for my own work, I buy ApplixWare Office.

> i don't have time to INSTALL every app in the ports tree.....

Do you have time to do this:

	$ cd /usr/ports
	$ find . -maxdepth 3 -name pkg-descr | xargs more
?

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.