Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:11:39 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Alex Obradovic <aobradovic@ballantyneinc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: overclocking and freebsd

Alex Obradovic <aobradovic@ballantyneinc.com> types:
> Has anyone been able to overclock successfully with FreeBSD? I was
> running my Pentium 3-850 at 1 Gghz for a year with Win 2K. After I
> scrapped windows and installed FreeBSD, I had to go down to 850 since
> my system would have lots of disk issues, and it would not boot.
>
> Any overclockers out there?

While there are some, the general consensus seems to be that FreeBSD
pushes the hardware more than Windows, meaning that the overclocking
levels that work are much lower - typically around 5%, as opposed to
the nearly 20% you got. Since turning off overclocking and trying
again is the suggested response to any problems on an overclocked
system, I don't bother.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.