Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:51:35 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com> types:
> Mike writes:
> > You've said this before, but haven't done
> > anything to demonstrate it.
> I'm surprised that you think it requires demonstration.

You're asserting something that over a decade and a half of experience
says is false. If I told you the sky was green, wouldn't you ask for
something to back that up if it had been blue every time you looked up
for the last 15 years, and was blue when you checked a few minutes
ago?

> UNIX was designed to
> service hundreds of users sitting in front of dumb terminals; it was not
> designed to drive a single resource-intensive GUI on dedicated hardware for a
> single user.  UNIX architecture puts a huge emphasis on multiple, independent
> users and processes, and very little emphasis on the kind of close integration
> and hardware dependency that a complex GUI requires.  These characteristics make
> for an excellent timesharing system or server, but they also make for a poor
> desktop environment.

Both of these statements are false. As you've already noted, Unix
provides a *minimal* multi-user environment. While it's true that Unix
can be tuned to run in the kind of environment you describe, it can
also be tuned to handle a single user. There's no huge emphasis on
those things - they're just features of the system.

SGI has the most complex GUI I've ever run into, and they didn't
require hardware dependency. They *do* require a well-defined API that
makes it possible to access the hardware efficiently - but that's a
completely different animal.

> If you believe that UNIX is as good a desktop as Windows, then logically you
> must also believe that Windows is as good a server as UNIX.  An extension of
> this logic leads to the conclusion that the operating systems are essentially
> identical--but that obviously is not the reality.

I didn't say it was as good a desktop as Windows, I said that it's
been perfectly adequate for heavy desktop use, based on the better
part of two decades of doing that, and watching and helping others do
that. I will say that when I finally moved to mass market hardware for
home use in 1998, I evaluted the available versions of Windows and
found them wanting. Mostly, there didn't seem to be any choice in
GUIs, and the environment being sold for home use wasn't stable enough
for me to be happy.

Your "logic" is so flawed I'll suggest you take a math class in
logic. The statemnts that follow the word "logically" are straw men,
having no relation to anything I ever said or ever expect to say.  I
have no experience with Windows as a server, so I don't make any
claims about it. I generally take the word of people who do, but would
want to verify it myself before spending money on it.

> It's interesting to see how hard people will try to prove or at least argue that
> their pet operating systems are the best for all purposes, or even adequate for
> all purposes.  I've never seen an operating system that can do it all, and I
> expect that I never will.

I've never claimed that Unix - in any form - would fill all niches. I
can think of several that it sucks at. I'm mildly amused by the fact
that Unix is considered a "small, light-weight OS" these days, having
dealt with systems that provided a faster desktop environment than
Unix on hardware that cost about 10% of what a good Unix box
did. FWIW, at the time Windows was a niche market, competing with
other things that bolted multitasking onto Windows.

> > Quite to the contrary, every time someone has
> > asked me to work on Win 9x or Macs - through the
> > mid 90s - they crashed regularly under my
> > normal usage patterns. That convinced me that,
> > if anything, those operating systems aren't
> > suitable for "heave desktop use".
> Heavy desktop use requires NT and its descendants.  Windows 9x and the Mac are
> for occasional, non-critical desktop use, for precisely the reasons you cite.

In other words, my typical usage patterns for Unix workstations
qualify as "heavy desktop use", and Unix handles them perfectly
adequately, doing everythiong I call upon it to do.

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

> Perhaps you can explain the utility of a multiuser environment for a single-user
> desktop graphics workstation.

Because you might want to let more than one person use the computer,
and have a little security between them?

Of course, that a system has an unused capability in some role doesn't
mean it can't fill that role adequately. It may mean you're using a
Saturn V for a signal flare. Running vi on a Cray means that all that
nice, fast array processing hardware Seymour put into them is going
unused, but I can assure you from first-hand experience that vi runs
just fine on a Cray. It was a tad faster on the dual-processer Ultrix
box in the next room, but it was perfectly adequate for the job. The
fact that there was a bunch of expensive hardware going unused while
it was doing so in no way detracted from it's adequacy at running vi.

> > There are many reasons that Windows is the
> > dominant force on the desktop today but they
> > have everything to do with marketing and
> > economics and very little to do with operating
> > system design.
> That is a common misconception, held dear and defended by those with axes to
> grind or religions to defend.  Microsoft wanted the desktop GUI market and went
> after it.  Most UNIX vendors did not.

I don't see those two statements as being contradictory. Yes, MS
wanted the desktop market and went after it. Going after a market is
*marketing*. Once MS decides they want a market, they'll keep building
products until they find one that actually sells into it. It took
three tries with Windows. At leaste two with WinCE. Bill Gates stood
on a stage and said that Windows NT wasn't stable enough for real
world server use, but claimed that that the latest offering was. It's
actually a bit frightening when I think about it.

None of this has anything with system design.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.