Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:30:27 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Amount of free memory available in system?

Is there a simple sysctl or a command line utility I can use to
determine how much free memory is available in a system?

I've got an embedded application that has *very* limited memory, and I
was trying to figure out how much memory was available for the userland
applications.

'top' has something, as well as 'vmstat'.  Unfortunately, because of the
limited amount of disk space available on this box, I don't have access
to either one of those.

Is there a sysctl I can use to determine how much free memory is
available on the box?

Note, I've disabled swapping, since the *ONLY* thing running is an MFS
at the point I'm checking.

/stand/sysctl vm.defer_swapspace_pageouts=1
/stand/sysctl vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts=1

Nate