Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:03:55 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011423835.7fe7cf-dated-1011423883.ced90c@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Subject:   Re: HOWTO -- backup onto CDRs?

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org> writes:
> > They are all ways of putting bits on CDs; I can't imagine why one would work
> > without bugs are more or less than the other.
> Because different program developers have different levels of
> carefulness in design, implementation, and testing.  Or a program might
> have been designed for one kind of operating system and file system and
> pressed into service on another without adequate review and testing.

Right. Note that those problems aren't in how the bits get on the CD,
but in what the bits are.

> don't trust them.  I, for instance, have noticed that "tar" belches
> error messages on some FreeBSD /dev entries with too-large node numbers.
> (I asked about that here, and got ignored, but I've since seen another
> mention of that as a problem.)

The very last paragraph on the tar man page says:

     The tar file format is a semi fixed width field format, and the field for
     device numbers were designed for 16 bit (8 major, 8 minor) and can not
     absorb our 32 bit (8 major, 16+8 minor) numbers.

Which is sufficient reason to avoid using tar on anything with device
files on it.

	<mike